In this Activity, there are two case studies, one on interviewing from Chapter 7 and the other on Observation from Chapter 8. Read through the two case studies, select one of the two, and answer the questions at the end of the case study you choose. Copy the questions into a separate Word document, answer the questions in the document you created, then turn in that document.
Assignment: Data Collection – Interviews and Observations
Chapter 7: KYOTOMIDTOWNSHOPPINGCENTRE
KyotoMidtownisacompositeurbandistrictofmodernbuildingssurroundingahistoricJapanese garden.Itfeaturessophisticatedbars,restaurants,shops,artgalleries,ahotelandleafypublic spaces.KyotoMidtownaimstoofferauniqueshoppingexperiencewithabroadselection of outlets thatincludeJapan’sfirstflagship boutiqueand theworld’sfirstconceptshops. Fromplayful and trendsettingboutiquestoprestigiousbrandsvaluedtheworldover,itaspirestobeaplacefor peoplewhoappreciatethefinerthings in life.
Inthepastfewyearshowever,visitornumbershave declined.Forthisreason, themanagementof KyotoMidtownshoppingcentrefeelsthatitisimportanttodevelopa betterunderstandingofits shoppersin ordertotaketheshoppingexperiencetoanextlevel.Itwantstoknowwhatattracts customerstoitsstores,whatcustomersneedwhileshoppingandhowtheygoaboutshopping. Basedon theseinsights,itwantstodevelopstrategiesthatarecloselyaligned withitscustomers’ shoppingstrategies,needsandpreferences.
The management of theshoppingcentrehashired HoshimiKusunoki, aninternationalfull-time MBA studenttoproduceareportcompletewithpractical,hands–on recommendationsreadyfor implementation.Bornand raisedinanupper classfamily inYamanote,Hoshimi isfamiliarwiththe lifestyleandattitudes of people visitingtheKyotoMidtownshoppingcenterandthe high expectationsthattheyhave.
AkeyaimofHoshimi’sresearchprojectistofindoutwhatshopperswouldneedtoincreasethe frequencyofshoppingatthecentreaswellastounderstandhowitcomparestoothershopping centresinKyotocompetingforcustomers.Based on preliminaryresearch,Hoshimihasbeenable to developthefollowingspecific projectobjectives:
· To establish theprofileof shoppers
· TounderstandtheirawarenessandusageoftheMidtown Shoppingcentre
· Tounderstandhowshoppers travel tothe shoppingcentre,howfar theyhavetravelledand howfrequentlytheyshopthere
· To exploreshopperbehaviorandunderstandwhat theyhavepurchased orhadexpectedto
· Tounderstandtheirexpectationsto theMidtown shoppingcentre
· Tounderstandtheirattitudesto the Midtown shoppingcentre
Hoshimiwants toconduct structured facetofaceinterviewswith 100shoppersatthe shopping centreandacompetingshoppingcentre.Theinterviewswilltakeplaceduringthekeyshopping hours acrosseverydayof theweekamongarepresentativesampleofparticipants.
1. Hoshimihasplannedtocarryoutstructuredinterviews.Howdostructuredinterviewsdiffer fromunstructured interviews? Which would be more appropriate for this study and why?
2. What arethepossibleadvantages anddisadvantagesof usingfacetofaceinterviews in this situation?
3. Theinformationobtained duringinterviewsshouldbeasfreeaspossiblefrombias.Howcan Hoshimiminimizebias introduced bytheinterviewer,theinterviewee,or thesituation?
4. What advice would you give Hoshimiregarding theselectionof participants for her interviews?
Chapter 8: PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT THROUGH MYSTERY SHOPPING
DawsonChambersisa young,dynamicandfastgrowingresearchagencythatis specializedinMystery Shopping,MarketResearch,andCustomerServiceTraining.Itislocatedin Geneva,Switzerland from whereitprovidesnational andinternational organizationswithcustomizedperformanceimprovement programs.DawsonChambershasaconsiderablenetwork ofspecialistmysteryshoppersoperatingfrom regionalhubsacrossSwitzerland.Thesemysteryshoppersprovideserviceorganizationswiththetools todevelop,trainandre-train theirteamstoimprove customerserviceandsalesperformance.Dawson Chambershasrecently beenapproachedbySebastianKoch,managerofSwiss-tell,aSwissmobile phoneproviderheadquarteredin Basel.Sebastianhasasked Dawson Chamberstoassessthequality of servicedeliverytocustomers ofSwiss-TelmobilephoneshopsacrossSwitzerland.
Likeinmanyothercountries,themobilephoneindustryinSwitzerlandishugeanddespitetherapid growthofonlineshopping,brick-and–mortarbusinessisstilldominantinthemobilephoneindustry; mostpeopleinteractwith amobilephoneprovidervaaphoneshop.Accordingtomanyhowever,the qualityofservicedeliveryinthesephoneshopsispoor.Aparticipantinapreliminarystudydescribed thequalityofservicedeliveryinphoneshopsasfollows:“Whileitwouldbeunreasonabletoexpect everysalesassistant to knowthecompleteins andouts of eachphone- althoughitwouldberathernice iftheydid-youdoexpectgoodadvice.Most ofthetimehowever,shopassistantsdonot offeranything neartoadvice;they trytoshove certainproducts downyourthroat andtheyarealways tryingtoup- sell.”
SebastianKochbelievesthatitdoesn’thavetobethisway. Hethinksthatconsumersshouldgetsound advice withoutbeingbelittledandpatronized.Healsothinksthatmysteryshoppingcanprovidean excellent insightintohis team‘sabilitytointeractwith customersand that itis thereforea valuable tool toimproveboth salesand customerservice.ThatiswhySebastian hasasked Dawson Chambersto developandlaunchamysteryshoppingprogram. Sebastianhasexplainedthattheaimsof thisprogram are to:
• highlightif companyprocessesarebeingfollowed;
• provideacomprehensiveevaluationoftheserviceprocess; Sebastianwantstoknowwhat works in thecustomerserviceprocessandwhatdoesnot;
• identifytrainingneeds for thestorestoimprovetheirservice.
Withtheseobjectivesin mindDawsonChambers hasdevelopedamysteryshoppingprogram.The researchagencyhasdrawnupasurveymodeland-afterathoroughdiscussionwithSebastian– decided thatitsmysteryshoppershaveto collect the followinginformation:
· speed of service;
· the questions asked by the shop assistant to help the customer to find a suitable product;
· the types of products shown by the shop assistant;
· the sales arguments used by the shop assistant;
· whether or how the shop assistant attempted to close the sale;
· compliance with company standards relating to service;
· whether the shop assistant suggested any add-on sales;
Theyhavealsoagreeduponthefollowing.Anumber ofmysteryshopperswillbegiven instructionsto makethetransactionatypicaltotesttheknowledgeandserviceskillsoftheshopassistantswhereas otherswilltrytoreturnpreviouslyboughtmerchandise.Notallmysteryshoppingscenarioswillinclude a purchase.
After visitingone or morephoneshopsthe mysteryshoppershavesubmitted thecollecteddatato Dawson Chambers,which reviewedand analyzed theinformation.Areportandapresentation ofthe resultswasproduced,identifyingstrengthsand weaknesses ofthecompany’sperformance.Points on whichimprovementwasrequiredwereidentifiedandrecommendationsmadeastohow toachieve theseimprovements.
1. Define observation and explain (based on your definition) why mystery shopping is a form of observation.
2. If you were Sebastian Koch, would you inform your shop assistants about the mystery shopping program before it actually takes place? Why (not)?
3. (How) would the mystery shoppers benefit from a coding scheme?
4. What are the benefits of mystery shopping over other methods of data collection such as interviews or questionnaires?
5. Sebastianisrelyingsolelyonmysteryshoppingtoimprovethecompany’sperformance.Whatarethe dangers ofthis?Inotherwords,what arethelimitations ofmysteryshopping?
Sekaran, U., & Bougie, R. (2013). Research methods for business: A skill building approach (6th ed.). Chichester, United Kingdom: Wiley. ISBN: 978-1-119-94225-2.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.